My heart raced, I began to sweat, I felt a tightness in my chest. I thought for sure I was having a heart attack. I turned to the amazing doctors at In and Out Express Care for help. It turned out, I was having a panic attack. They are terrifying and real.
Anxiety is an ever increasing problem in today’s fast-paced, stress-filled society. Children experience it often in their first separation from their parents. If you have children, you know how difficult separation anxiety can be for a child.
In older children and adults, the demanding schedules we keep often lead to an increase in anxiety. Pressure to perform well at work or school can cause anxiety as well.
Natural methods that can help treat your anxiety
- Meditate! Practicing mindfulness is a great way to calm the mind. Yoga is a fantastic meditation in motion. It also increases flexibility and helps with weight loss.
- Eliminate caffeine and sugar. It increases heart rate and respiration as well as stimulates your “fight or flight” response. Studies show this makes anxiety worse and can even trigger an anxiety attack.
- Work on your finances. A huge source of anxiety for many people are the many financial obligations we have. Cut back on things you don’t need. For instance, bring your lunch to work instead of eating out. This can save hundreds of dollars a month!
- Get organized! Looking at an untidy house or desk is anxiety-inducing. Simplify things. It will help calm anxiety.
- Rest. Make sure you get between 7-9 hours of sleep. If you don’t get enough rest, your mind pays the price. However, anxiety can make sleep difficult. Melatonin is a natural supplement that helps with sleep. Try taking 1-3 mg nightly. Dr. Baddar of In and Out Express Care recommends melatonin as a sleep aid.
- Get a soothing massage! It helps relieve tension in the body and mind. If it’s not in your budget, try a massage school. They have to rack up hours practicing and often give a deep discount for massage services.
- Try lavender! Lavender is very calming and smells amazing. Add a few drops of lavender oil to a bath to help wash your anxiety away.
- Take natural supplements to help with anxiety. In and Out Express Care recommends Holy Basil. It is an adaptogen and helps the body and mind respond better to stress. It is very calming and helps stop your mind from racing. It has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for thousands of years. In India, it is called Tulsi. Try a cup of Tulsi Tea (available at Whole Foods) or a Holy Basil supplement.
In and Out Express Care is here to help! If your anxiety is out of control, please come into one of our three convenient locations in Hampton Roads. One of our knowledgable and friendly doctors will be happy to help. In and Out Express Care’s about you!