Ever wondered why some people rarely get sick? There are lots of factors that contribute to a healthy immune system. There are steps you can take to bolster your body’s defenses.
The most important thing to do is live a healthy lifestyle. Eating lean protein, lots of fresh veggies and fruit and limiting processed foods fuels your body right. Eating sugar, saturated fats, highly processed food and drinking excessive alcohol all contribute to weaknesses in your body’s immune system. Cigarette smoking also inhibits your body’s disease defenses.
Here are a few steps you can take to get your immune system revving!
- Get enough sleep. You need between 7-9 hours of sleep each night for your body to repair itself and function at its best.-Exercise. Getting your body moving is another great way to give your immune system a boost. Excessive exercise and overtraining can inhibit your immune system so aim for 30 minutes 3-5 times a week.
- Drink plenty of filtered water. This flushes toxins from your body. Staying hydrated is important for immune function.
- Take probiotics. Your gut health is vital to your immune health. Eat unsweetened yogurt, fermented foods like pickles, kombucha and kimchee or take a probiotic supplement. They are best taken once a day on an empty stomach.
- Wash your hands frequently. This helps prevent the spread of infection.
- Stop smoking.
- Reduce stress. Simple ways to do this are with meditation, mindfulness and cutting back on stressful situations.
- Take a multi-vitamin. Whole food vitamins are best and can fill the nutritional gaps in your diet.
In the midst of this pandemic, take small steps toward a healthier immune response. You and everyone around you will be glad you did. In and Out Express Care’s about you! Come in when you need to feel better fast.